Job Title: Executive Director
Classification: One Year Contract - Full-time
Salary Range: $60,000- 64,900 with benefits, based on experience
Direct Reports: All United Way Lethbridge Staff & Volunteers
Reports to: Board Chair and Board of Directors
United Way of Lethbridge and South Western Alberta (UWLSWA) welcomes a passionate and talented person to join us as we work to create a healthy, caring, inclusive community and strengthen our community’s capacity to address social issues.
We are leaders in our field. We identify trends, collaborate with our partners, and work to create improvements in three main areas: strong communities, helping children and youth be all that they can be, and moving people from poverty to possibility.
As the ideal candidate, you are a values-driven leader who brings a track record of success in general management within a growing organization. You have successfully led organizational growth through your talents for project management, strategic perspective, and best practices in organizational development. You have experience fostering collaborative working relationships with government stakeholders and a Board of Directors. As an impactful communicator, you are skilled in developing partnerships locally and nationally and possess a strong awareness of current trends and best practices in fundraising.
- Report to the Board of Directors through regular attendance at board meetings and preparation of reports for the Board as required/requested.
- Sit on community and organizational committees as a representation for our organization and values.
- Guide, manage, and work collaboratively with staff to achieve strategic goals, share organizational information and manage daily operations of the organization.
- Ensure UWLSWA’s policies and procedures are properly implemented, followed and compliant with the national strategy.
- Oversee the daily operational aspects of UWLSWA, including the supervision of all staff, interacting with stakeholders and accomplishing goals in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan,
- Ensure operational and financial sustainability of all services and programs in alignment with the organizational budget. Oversee the annual audit and development and implementation of future annual budgets.
- Ensure the appropriate financial accountability, controls and audits are in place.
- Engage the community to support the work of UWLSWA through fundraising and volunteer support.
- Adhere to existing schedules, policies and procedures to achieve organizational goals and keep operations running efficiently.
- Promote United Way’s values and mission in the community, representing the organization at community events and functions.
- Oversee the annual Allocations process to determine organizational funding for partner agencies.
- Oversee the submission of grant applications for funding, to government, municipal and other funding providers.
- Oversee and plan, through team collaboration, United Way’s annual campaigns and fundraising events.
- Support various volunteer-led committees with the planning and implementation of annual fundraising events, including the annual golf tournament.
- Oversee all human resource development, including the hiring, orientating, and evaluating of staff, when necessary.
- Represent UWLSWA at United Way Centraide national and provincial events, and participate on national, provincial, and regional working groups, advisory committees and projects, as appropriate.
- Act as the spokesperson for the organization, both at events and through media relations.
- Carry out additional tasks as directed by the Board consistent with the duties and responsibilities of the position.
KEY TRAITS AND SKILLS
- Integrity and accountability
- Commitment to philanthropy and a passion for charitable work
- Long term perspective and ability to set and achieve organizational goals
- Courage to try new things and spearhead new initiatives
- Good judgment
- Fair and thoughtful approach to management
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of nonprofit/not-for-profit organizational models and board governance
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Post-secondary degree in social sciences, management or a related field.
- Experience leading effective teams and guiding organizational direction in a management or supervisory role. Ideally, in an organization of comparable size and mission.
- Experience working in the not for profit/charitable sector and interacting with volunteers and diverse boards.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization and the communities in which we serve.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- Experience public speaking, leading meetings and communicating with media.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience managing and promoting fundraising campaigns.
- Experience developing partnerships and building teams.
- Success in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Experience managing finances of an organization, working with accountants and bookkeepers.
- Ability to lead a team in alignment with the strategic plan and overall mission.
- Experience managing the operations of an organization.
- Experience with fundraising database software.
- Experience with grant writing and proposals.
We offer an opportunity to make a difference with a competitive salary and benefits package. This is a one-year temporary position to cover a maternity leave.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting opportunity and you have the skills, knowledge, and enthusiasm to lead our wonderful organization, please forward a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.
United Way Lethbridge & South Western Alberta values the diversity of people. Diversity in our workplace means a space where individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths. Our workspace is accessible. For more questions on our diversity and inclusion policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: November 30, 2019 at 11:59pm
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.