“While physical distancing is essential to protecting seniors from COVID-19, it risks isolating them from their community. That is why the Government of Canada is proud to work with United Way Canada to help support the needs of seniors during this difficult time. By using local expertise, this funding will help provide support tailored to the unique, local needs of seniors across the country. As we work together to flatten the curve and slow the spread of the virus, the government is supporting Canadians every step of the way.”
-The Honourable Deb Schulte, Minister of Seniors
In Lethbridge & South Western Alberta, $50,000 has been distributed to organizations supporting seniors by providing basic needs, transportation to essential appointments, maintaining social connections, and more.
LETHBRIDGE & SOUTH WESTERN ALBERTA
- Claresholm Senior Drop-In Centre - $6,000 to support grocery and medication delivery to seniors, meal preparation & delivery, wellbeing check-ins, transportation to essential medical appointments. Contact: (403) 625-2877
- Covenant Foundation - $4,800 to support virtual social connections while maintaining physical distancing between senior residents in Covenant Health facilities in Lethbridge and their family members and friends.
- Good Samaritan Society - $9,500 to provide equipment to maintain distancing and increase the comfort of seniors in care facilities in south western Alberta (Magrath, Raymond, Pincher Creek, Cardston, Taber, and Lethbridge) who are isolated in their rooms.
- Kidney Foundation of Canada - $4,775 to support immunocompromised individuals and ensure they can travel to dialysis appointments, access medication, and maintain social connections while isolated. Contact: 403-255-6108 / 1-800-268-1177 | email@example.com
- Lethbridge Senior Citizens Organization - $12,000 to support the Volunteer Driver program, making it possible to transport seniors for essential trips for groceries, prescriptions, legal appointments, medical appointments, and counselling. Contact: 403-320-2222 | www.lethseniors.com
- Lethbridge Senior Citizens Organization - $7,400 to support seniors with technology and education to reduce social isolation through access to online programs like fitness or hobby classes, connection with family and friends, and access to supports available through LSCO. Contact: 403-320-2222 | www.lethseniors.com
- Volunteer Lethbridge Association - $5,525 to support connections between screened volunteers and subscribed seniors. Services include wellbeing check-ins, identification of additional services needed, referrals, and outreach to individuals potentially requiring support. Contact: HelpingHands@VolunteerLethbridge.com or (403) 332-4320